DrupalCon Seattle is about a month away, and we're putting the finishing touches on this year's plans. Drupal's biggest annual conference affords us the opportunity to support the project, share our expertise, and connect with our colleagues from far and wide. We love DrupalCon. Here's what we've got in store this year.
Our Booth & Swag
Come by the Chromatic booth, #516 in the exhibit hall, to pick up some free Chromatic swag. No kidding, our t-shirts are the softest/coolest and we've got an awesome new vintage design this year:
And we made some kick-ass stickers for this year's conference too:
Introduction to Drupal 8 Migrations - Clare Ming
Migrations can be intimidating but with Migrate modules now in core, it’s easier than ever to upgrade or migrate legacy applications to Drupal 8. Let's demystify the process by taking a closer look at how to get started from the ground level.
In this session we’ll cover:
- A brief overview of the Migrate APIs for importing content to Drupal 8, including Migrate Drupal's capabilities to move content from a Drupal source.
- Understanding your migration pathway.
- Getting your site ready for migrated content.
- Sample migration scripts and configuration files for migrating nodes and field mapping.
- Consideration of media entities, file attachments, and other dependencies.
- Using Migrate Drupal UI and Migrate Tools for managing migrations.
For those new to Drupal, this session will introduce the basic concepts and framework for setting up your Drupal 8 migration path successfully.
Time: 04/10/2019 / 11:45 - 12:15
Room: 609 | Level 6
Configuration Management: A True Life Story - Nathan Dentzau
Long gone are the days of copying databases, creating a custom module, or creating features to push new functionality to your Drupal Website. Those days and arcane methods are a thing of the past with Drupal 8. Why or how you ask? Read on my friend, read on!
Managing configuration in Drupal 8 has become much easier with the introduction of configuration management. In this talk, we will review “good practices” Oomph and Chromatic have established for configuration management, what tools we use on all of our Drupal 8 projects and how to use them. We will also discuss how configuration management ties into a Continuous Integration pipeline using GitHub and Travis-CI.
We will discuss the following list of modules:
- Configuration Manager
- Configuration Split
- Configuration Read-only mode
- Configuration Installer
What you can expect to learn from this talk:
- Automating configuration management in a Continuous Integration pipeline
- How to export and import configuration in Drupal 8
- How to manage configuration in version control
- How to manage configuration for multiple environments
- How to install a new instance of Drupal with a set of existing configuration
This talk is for all skill levels and aims to make everyone’s life easier through the magic of Drupal Configuration Management. We look forward to sharing our experience with you and answering any questions you may have.
Time: 04/10/2019 / 12:30 - 13:00
Room: 612 | Level 6
Saving the world from bad websites. - Dave Look
"Saving the world from bad websites." This is our compelling saga at Chromatic. We've spent years growing and evolving as a team and it has taken time for us to land on this phrase as our compelling saga. In this talk, we'll explore the idea of a compelling saga for an agency, what it is, and why it's important. This concept comes from a book titled "High Altitude Leadership" where the author explores leadership principles learned from mountaineering expeditions. We'll discover how these same leadership principles can be applied to our industry.
We will cover:
- What a compelling saga is and why you should have one for your Agency.
- How these change and evolve as your agency grows.
- The cultural impact of all team members being able to articulate the compelling saga.
- How buy-in or lack of can mean life or death of your agency.
Time: 04/10/2019 / 13:00 - 13:30
Room: 6C | Level 6
Preprocessing Paragraphs: A Beginner's Guide - Larry Walangitan
Paragraphs is a powerful and popular contributed module for creating dynamic pages in Drupal 8. Preprocessing allows us easily to create and alter render arrays to generate tailored markup for any paragraphs type.
In this session you will learn about:
- Getting started with preprocessing paragraphs and structuring your preprocessing methods.
- Creating custom render arrays and overriding twig templates.
- Referencing nested entities and pulling data into paragraph twig templates.
- How to debug your preprocessing and twig files using contributed modules or composer packages without running out of memory.
You'll leave this session ready to preprocess paragraphs and have a plan of action to reference when debugging any issues. This session is perfect for site-builders or back/front-end devs that are new to preprocessing in Drupal 8 and Twig.
Time: 04/10/2019 / 16:00 - 16:30
Room: 608 | Level 6
If you're coming to the conference, we'd love to meet you. Come say "hello", grab some swag, and tell us how you use Drupal....oh, and if you're looking for a job, our booth is a great place to make an impression on us!